Our network

Law enforcement facing 'very difficult terrain' in search for Brian Laundrie at Carlton Reserve |

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Law enforcement facing 'very difficult terrain' in search for Brian Laundrie at Carlton Reserve

You can find the latest on the investigation involving Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie here. Download the WFLA app for breaking news push alerts and sign up for breaking news email alerts.

NORTH PORT, Fla. (WFLA) -- The search for 23-year-old Brian Laundrie is back on in a massive Sarasota County nature reserve Tuesday as investigators continue their work trying to piece together what happened to Gabby Petito.

Nothing had been found as of 1 p.m. ET, according to North Port PIO Josh Taylor.

"The terrain is very difficult," North Port Police Department Commander Joe Fussell, who is leading the search, said. "About 75% of it is underwater. Other areas that are dry we're trying to clear. We're expecting to get wet by the end of the day and check the entire area for Brian Laundrie."

Laundrie, who has been named a person of interest in his fiancée Gabby Petito's disappearance, was reported missing to police on Friday, Sept. 17. According to police, his parents reported last seeing him last Tuesday, Sept. 14, in hiking gear.


Gabby Petito investigation: North Port police search warrant provides new details

North Port police are working with several other law enforcement agencies - including the FBI, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Sarasota County Sheriff's Office, Sarasota Police Department, Venice Police Department and K9 search and rescue teams - to find him.

"This is an FBI led criminal investigation and North Port Police are assisting our federal partner in any way we can to bring this investigation to a close," Taylor said.

North Port officers and FBI agents spent much of the weekend searching the reserve for Laundrie. There were no plans for a "major search" of the Carlton Reserve Monday, as North Port police believed they "exhausted all avenues in searching of the grounds there."

  • (Eagle 8 HD/WFLA photo)
  • (Eagle 8 HD/WFLA photo)
  • (Eagle 8 HD/WFLA photo)
  • (Eagle 8 HD/WFLA photo)
  • (Eagle 8 HD/WFLA photo)
  • (North Port Police Department photo)
  • (Eagle 8 HD/WFLA photo)
  • (Eagle 8 HD/WFLA photo)
  • (Eagle 8 HD/WFLA photo)
  • (North Port Police Department photo)
  • (Eagle 8 HD/WFLA photo)
  • (Eagle 8 HD/WFLA photo)
  • (North Port Police Department photo)

"A weekend ground search and aerial search Monday of the 25,000-acre preserve has yet to yield any answers, but we must press on," Taylor explained.

He added that law enforcement will move in from the Venice side of the area on Tuesday.


Why Gabby Petito’s final ‘odd text’ to her mom raised red flags

"Please be aware, the Carlton Reserve is a vast and unforgiving location at times. It is currently waist-deep in water in many areas," Taylor said. "This is dangerous work for the search crews as they are wading through gator and snake-infested swamps and flooded hiking and biking trails."

As the search continues for Laundrie in Florida, an autopsy is scheduled to begin on the remains found over the weekend in Wyoming. FBI officials said Sunday the body matches the description of Petito but was pending a forensic confirmation of the identity.

This is a developing story, please check back for updates.

Downtown Deals