Our network

Ammonia leak shuts down 1-square mile of Colorado and Commerce |

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Ammonia leak shuts down 1-square mile of Colorado and Commerce

Investigators believe it was an ammonia leak that came from Desert Gold Food Company which is a frozen food processing plant on Colorado Avenue. Ammonia was actually seeping into the air and that was the very foul and aggressive smell that some people were calling in complaining about.

The company told responders that they believe there was a problem with one of their chillers and that the ammonia is the refrigerant in that chiller so they contacted the manufacturer earlier Wednesday afternoon.

When the company realized there was a smell, they alerted first responders. According to the company, minimal staff were there and there were no injuries.

First responders say this is something they have to take very seriously because ammonia can be very hazardous to your health. Tim Szymanski with Las Vegas Fire & Rescue says,"it'll cause you to choke, gas, if you put liquid on it, it will turn into a liquid so it's a very bad irritant. It could cause you to stop breathing so it's something you don't want to get into."

Firefighters are actually going to stay outside of the plant to continue to monitor the situation and to make sure that the company continues to follow their correct protocol and any government mandated regulations about how to deal with this type of situation.

Downtown Deals