Our network

Boiler failure triggered gas explosion at Nevada dorm |

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Boiler failure triggered gas explosion at Nevada dorm

RENO, Nev. (AP) – The state marshal says a catastrophic failure in a basement boiler triggered the natural gas explosion that blew out windows and walls at a dormitory at the University of Nevada, Reno in July.

The Reno Gazette Journal and Las Vegas Review-Journal first reported the findings Thursday.

Eight people suffered minor injuries in the blast that has shut down the dorm for two years and a neighboring residence hall for at least a year.

University President Marc Johnson said in a statement late Thursday he’s glad the fire marshal has confirmed “the explosion was not criminal or terror related.”

The fire marshal said earlier that just before the explosion, a technician had been working on a boiler that had been shut down due to mechanical problems.

Johnson says they’re fortunate that while there were minor injuries, no one was killed.

Downtown Deals