Our network

Las Vegas Couple Mourns Loss of Baby | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Las Vegas Couple Mourns Loss of Baby

LAS VEGAS -- A young Las Vegas woman apparently didn't know she was six-months pregnant when her fiancé took her to University Medical Center with extreme abdominal pain.

Six hours later, the couple returned home where the baby was delivered with serious complications and died. Tuesday that baby was laid to rest – her tiny casket draped in pink lace, gracing the altar of the New Birth Baptist Assembly.

"God allows certain things to happen to expose the frailties in human society," said Bishop Tyrone Seals during the service.

Baby Angel Nicole Dewberry died within minutes of being born breech and premature last week. Twenty-five-year-old Roshunda Abney and her fiancé apparently didn't know she was pregnant when she went into premature labor.

Victoria Taylor sat next to the couple for six hours in UMC's emergency room. Taylor says Abney's distress was obvious, "We begged and I screamed from across the room for them to take her in," she said.

Taylor, who never met the couple before that night, says one hospital employee was callous, even threatening. "His sarcastic arrogance," she said. "He even threatened me and said that if I spoke up again, I'd be thrown out."

After six hours, Abney and her fiancé reportedly walked to nearby Valley Hospital to try and seek treatment before eventually returning home. Minutes later, the baby was born.

Angel Dewberry was pronounced dead less than an hour later back at UMC.

"This is an example of our health care system's failure to provide even the most basic and fundamental care," said attorney Jacob Hafter.

Clark County Commissioner Lawrence Weekly has promised a thorough internal investigation of the incident. "There are many good people over there at UMC doing good things and saving lives every day, but this is a very unfortunate case and I'm very sad it did occur," he said.

"If they would just have taken the time to do a very basic screening, they would have seen immediately that she was in the middle of a true medical emergency," said Hafter.

In separate e-mails sent to 8 News Now, Valley Hospital and UMC say due to potential litigation, they are unable to comment on the case. But both hospitals say they are investigating the incident and evaluating internal procedures and strive to provide the highest quality health care possible.


Downtown Deals