Our network

Police looking for two men in connection with deadly shooting

LAS VEGAS -- Metro Police are trying to find two people of interest in connection with a deadly shooting last week.

The men were seen in a convenience store near the intersection of Rancho Drive and Michael Way a few moments before one person was shot and killed at the nearby Northpointe Apartments. 

Police officers were called to the scene at around 9:40 p.m. Wednesday, July 2. Police say the shooting occurred after an argument. Emergency crews transported the victim to University Medical Center where he later died.

Police say the incident started when the victim and two other people were confronted at the entrance of the apartment complex by two men in a dark, colored four-door sedan. During a brief argument, multiple gunshots were fired. The victim was hit, but the two other people ran.





Community Sponsors

Downtown fire displaces 8 people

Las Vegas-- Two downtown homes were heavily damaged in a fast-moving fire early Saturday morning.

Everyone inside the two homes were able to escape without injury. A pet dog died in the fire. The cause remains under investigation.Fire dispatchers received multiple calls at 1:34 a.m. that a house at 126 Cervantes Street, near Stewart and Eastern was on fire. A few minutes later they received another call that the fire was extending to the house next door and possibly another house.

When firefighters arrived a few minutes later, heavy flames were showing from the rear of two one-story houses at 126 and 132 Cervantes Street. Firefighters then learned that the fire was also moving to the rear of a house at 127 North 21 Street, which sits directly behind the house at 132 Cervantes Street.



Coroner IDs girl killed in morning rollover crash

LAS VEGAS -- The Clark County Coroner's Office has identified the young girl killed in the rollover crash Wednesday morning as 9-year-old Gabriela Casias. Her cause of death is still pending.

The 9-year-old girl was killed when the SUV she was riding in rolled over on I-15 northbound near D Street at around 8 a.m. According to Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Loy Hixson, a 22-year-old woman, identified by NHP as Wendy Carrion, was driving the vehicle and there were six children as passengers, all were under the age of 10.

Three of the children were ejected from the vehicle, including Gabriela Casias. NHP says the three children who were ejected were not wearing seatbelts. A 6-year-old girl was critically injured. The other children, ages 1, 2, 4 and 6, and the driver are in stable condition at University Medical Center.

Police say Carrion had just dropped off Gabriela's mother at work prior to the crash.





Ruvo Center: Alzheimer's study shows most drugs don't work

LAS VEGAS -- An alarming statistic on a study done in Las Vegas shows most Alzheimer's drugs fail to work. The study was conducted by the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health.

The center found 244 drugs tested in the past decade failed to be effective. Only one has been approved for use. The failure rate of the drugs was 99.6 percent.

Nearly 44 million people, and 28,000 Nevadans, are living with Alzheimer's. The numbers are expected to increase as baby boomers age.



Community Sponsors

Two people transported from house fire

Photo credit: Las Vegas Fire & Rescue

LAS VEGAS -- Two people were transported to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation Thursday afternoon following a fire at a home near Sahara Avenue and Richfield Boulevard.

The fire started around noon in the attic of a one-story home on Merritt Avenue. There were three people in the home at the time of the fire and all were able to escape.

According to Tim Szymanski with Las Vegas Fire & Rescue, one of the residents said there was a loud pop in the attic and then they smelled smoke. The home was in the process of being remodeled.



Szymanski said the cause of the fire, which is under investigation, may be related to something electrical. Damage was limited to the attic.





Restrictions on booze in downtown Las Vegas will stand

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- A judge will allow the city of Las Vegas to restrict packaged liquor sales at the Fremont Street Experience, in spite of opposition from the souvenir stores that sell it.

U.S. District Chief Judge Gloria Navarro on Wednesday dissolved a temporary injunction that blocked enforcement of two new ordinances. The rules restrict alcohol advertisements on store windows and cap the size of malt liquor or beer containers at 32 ounces.

Navarro also declined to block a third ordinance, which prohibits glass bottles and aluminum cans at the pedestrian mall.

The council has been clamping down on store-bought liquor and steering people toward more expensive casino and restaurant liquor, saying people getting drunk fast are scaring away visitors.

The souvenir stores sought to block the rules, saying they wrongfully favor casinos.