Our network

Downtown Project laying off employees

LAS VEGAS -- Downtown Project which was founded by Zappos.com CEO Tony Hsieh is laying off 30 employees, a source tells 8 News NOW.

The project was established to redevelop downtown's East Fremont Street and encourage the growth of more businesses. 8 News NOW has learned some of the cuts are from the corporate side and community based entities involving arts and music.

The Downtown Project's communication office released a statement Tuesday afternoon:

"Since January 2012, Downtown Project has been working to help revitalize downtown Las Vegas through several hundred investments and initiatives. At this time, we are focused on streamlining our operations as we continue to execute on our plans. Doing so requires that we restructure our operations and focus on follow-on investments.





Community Sponsors

Expert: Gaming contributes billions to U.S. economy

LAS VEGAS -- Las Vegas is the king of gaming but the city has plenty of competition with some form of gaming now in 48 of the 50 states.

Batman and Robin have theirs. So does Wonder Woman and so do the guys from the "Hangover" movies but the Global Gaming Expo is much more than the latest slot machines.

"The U.S. gaming industry last year contributed $240 billion in economic activity." Adam Sacks with Oxford Economics said.

Sacks authored a brand new report on the economic impact of the U.S. gaming industry. He has crunched all the numbers studying the gaming industry's significant ripple effect, including local businesses.

"If you can think of what would happen if the gaming industry disappeared in Las Vegas and all of the employees of these casinos no longer had jobs and no longer had incomes, how that would affect everything from the grocery stores to movie theatres to the banks and so forth," Sacks said.

Police: Teen did nothing to incite deadly attack

LAS VEGAS -- No arrests have been made in the killing of a local teen who was shot at a busy intersection. Las Vegas police are hoping the public can help identify a suspect.

The shooting happened Sunday, Sept. 21.  Police say 17-year-old Jose Pena was sitting in the passenger seat of a car that was stopped at Sahara Avenue and Decatur Boulevard when another car pulled up, some words were exchanged, and someone in the second car shot into Pena's car, killing him.

Metro Police say Pena did nothing to incite the attack.

"Nobody did anything to deserve any of this. This is an innocent victim. We are looking to solve this," said Lt. Ray Steiber, Las Vegas Metropolitan Department.





First vote for soccer stadium to come Wednesday

LAS VEGAS --  Critics of the proposed Major League Soccer stadium that Las Vegas mayor, Carolyn Goodman and a few other city council members want to bring to the downtown area have made their voices heard. During the town hall meetings held by the Las Vegas City Council, both those in support and against the building of the soccer stadium were able to express their feelings, while ironing out the wrinkles in regards to how much this will affect taxpayers.

But, were the town halls enough? Residents will find out soon because the first non-binding vote of the agreement for the city to chip in its share for the stadium bill will take place at the city council meeting Wednesday.

Mayor Goodman says the plan is great for the city, while UNLV soccer fans feel this might be the city's only chance to bring professional soccer to Las Vegas.

Community Sponsors

Coroner IDs teen shot and killed in drive-by

 LAS VEGAS -- A teen who was shot to death in a driveway at a busy intersection has been identified.  The Clark County Coroner's office said that 16-year-old Jose Hernandez-Pena was killed Sunday, Sept. 21, near Sahara Avenue and Decatur Boulevard.

According to Metro Police, around 7:30 p.m., Hernandez-Pena was in a car with four other people. They were stopped at the light at the intersection when another car came up along side them. The people in the second car started talking with the people in Hernandez-Pena's car. 

At one point, someone in the second car pulled out a gun and fired into the victim's car, said Lt. Craig Klatt, Las Vegas Metropolitan Department. He says it appears the vehicle was targeted.

Hernandez-Pena, who was sitting in the passenger seat, was hit by gunfire. The second car drove from the scene.





Nevada monthly gaming win drops in August

CARSON CITY, Nev. - Nevada's monthly gaming win totals fell in August, according to the Nevada Gaming Control Board.

Nevada casinos won more than $920 million dollars from gamblers last month, representing a drop of more than 3.6 percent from August 2013.

Casinos in Clark County performed worse. Clark County casinos won more than $774 million in August, representing a decline of more than 5.1 percent from 2013.

The August totals did little to bolster the state's coffers. Nevada collected more than $50 million in fees based on the August gaming win. That represents a decline of 1.25 percent from the previous year.

Police release pictures of semi-trailer truck that ran over man

Police release pictures of semi-trailer truck that ran over man

Metro Police have released pictures of the semi-trailer truck which ran over and killed a man this past weekend.

According to police, the victim was sleeping under the truck when the truck driver drove off. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police are looking for the driver of the truck but they do not believe he knew the victim was under the truck at the time.

The incident happened Sunday morning at a parking lot near Mesquite and 6th Street.

Anyone with information is asked to call Metro’s Accident Investigation Section at (702) 828-3128, or to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers (702) 385-5555.